1. What are the requirements for Paltalk Express?
We support common browsers like, Internet Explorer, FireFox and Safari. One of them has to be installed on your PC. We recommend you use latest version of FireFox from http://www.mozilla.com. You need to have Java installed your machine. In order to get the latest version visit www.java.com. Your PC has to have the latest flash player for your operation system.
2. What browser type does Paltalk Express support?
Paltalk Express was designed to be cross-browser compatible. You can use your favorite browser.
3. What Operating System does Paltalk Express support?
Operating systems which support Java, and flash player would support Paltalk Express.
4. Paltalk Express stops responding, what should I do ?
If Paltalk Express stops responding, wait a few moments. If you still find the applicationunresponsive, close your browser and start again.
5. Audio keeps cutting out, what should I do ?
Make sure that you have enough bandwidth like DSL, cable. Try to close other audio related programs and re-log on Paltalk Express.
6. My audio is not transmitting. What should I do ?
Make sure that your security settings not high on IE. You can reset it to default settings from Tools > Internet options > Advanced > Reset to default (path may be different). Also make sure that you download our java applet that comes out after first initilazing. If that doesnt work. Try using FireFox browser http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox
7. How do I set up my microphone PC/Mac?
Usually microphones on Macintosh machines are plug N play. You can use desktop or USB microphone. We recommend you use USB microphone for more clearity. You can also check out the instructions from the link below: http://www.usbdacs.com/Macintosh/Macintosh.html
8. How can I find out what version I am using ?
Click the 'Help' Menu Item on the Paltalk Express Menu Bar. Choose 'About' from the dropdown menu.
9. How do I adjust the audio volume while I’m in a room ?
Click on the speaker icon to reveal a Volume slider. Move the slider up or down to adjust the Volume.
10. How do I adjust the microphone volume while I'm in a room ?
Click on the microphone icon to reveal a Volume slider. Move the slider up or down to adjust the Volume.
11. I have a free Nickname but video stops after certain period.
In order to have unlimited video, we ask that you upgrade your account.
12. During the installation I was asked to install an Applet. What is that for ?
An applet is a web-based java application embedded in the browser window. This is used for streaming real-time video and audio.
13. Can I play an MP3 file through the sound card?
1 - Select 'setup preferences' from the 'file' menu on the main 'pal list window'.
2 - Select the 'audio tests' tab.
3 - Click on the 'input mixer settings' link.
4 - To Play a MP3 we would want to select the 'WAV' or 'Mixer' device since your favorite media player uses this device to play MP3's. In this case the 'mixer' slider is selected.
5 - Here is where you can get confused... Some sound cards (like the one represented by this mixer panel) will not allow you to directly access the WAV device as the recording input, but WILL allow you to select the 'mixer' input. If your sound card is like this one, then you would want to select 'Mixer' as the 'recording device' (see above).
6 - Adjust the volume of your MP3 using the 'Mixer' slider or the 'WAV' slider if it is available and selected.
7 - If your 'recording control' panel looks like the one above, and you were able to play an MP3 while listening to people in the chat room, you should now be able to play an MP3 into the room.
8 - Just start your MP3 playing and 'key up' in the room by pressing the CTRL key on your keyboard, or select 'lock microphone' from the 'actions' menu in the chat room window.
9 - You can see that this mixer panel has various devices available. Your microphone would be selected by default.
10 - Don't forget to re-select the microphone again when you wish to speak into the chat room!
14. I am using Macintosh computer but I cannot publish my video. What should I do ?
1- Make sure that your camera plugged in correctly.
2- Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your camera.
3- You need to allow flash to access your camera and video.
4- Close every browser and open a new one to get on PaltalkExpress and try again.
5- You may want to try FireFox browser.
6- Make sure that you camera is not used by other applications.
7- If you are using a USB webcam and it is still not working, visit http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/ to get more help on USB webcams
15. How do I set up my cam if I am a Mac user ?
Macs are built around digital video. Every Mac system comes with digital video editing hardware and software, and it all works. In addition, the software to handle digital photography and digital music, as well as the ordinary browsing and email tasks, is built right in.
All Apple systems are bluetooth-capable these days. But bluetooth is still in its early stages, and there may not be a lot of choices for cameras. You can get a list of bluetooth cameras by googling.
After following the instructions that came with your WebCam and Software for the camera, make sure that you give an access to flash player.
16. My Audio keeps breaking up. What should I do ?
1- Make sure that you installed java applet when Paltalk Express initilized for the first time.
2- Latest version Java is installed from www.java.com.
3- You give access to flash player. To do that, right click anywhere on Paltalk Express Page and choose settings and click on "Allow". Also you can click on "Remember" box so that you dont have to go trough this next time.
4- You can try FireFox instead of other browsers.
5- You may want to close all the browsers and try again.
6- Make sure that you are not running heavy application which causes memory loss.
5- If none of the above works, please send us a bug report using the following link: http://support.paltalk.com/BugReportForm.html
17. I always see “Transferring data from express.paltalk.com” at the bottom of my browser. What is that?
This is a notification that your browser is establishing a connection with Paltalk servers.
18. Do I need a certain internet speed for Paltalk Express?
We recommend you use DSL or better.
19. I found some bugs. Where should I report them ?
Click on the 'Help' Menu Item in the Paltalk Express Menu Bar and select 'Report a Bug'.
20. Can I use Paltalk Express on my phone ?
21. Can I bookmark the Paltalk Express page with my browser ?
Yes. You can bookmark the Paltalk Express page.
22. How can I save my font settings ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choose 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Text Setup', uncheck the box labeled 'Auto Save font settings on Window close'.
23. How can I disable emoticons ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choose 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Text Setup', uncheck the box labeled 'Show Emoticons'.
24. How can I show timestamps in chat ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choose 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Text Setup', uncheck the box labeled 'Show timestamps on messages'.
25. How can I disable nudges ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choose 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Alerts and Sounds', uncheck the box labeled 'Mute Nudges'.
26. How do I turn off/on event sounds?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choose 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Alerts and Sounds', uncheck the radio button labeled 'Never Play Event Sounds'.
27. How can I adjust the volume of nudges ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choosing 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Alerts and Sounds', move the Volume Slider to adjust the Nudge Volume.
28. How can I get different sounds of nudges ?
Open your Settings & Preferences window by clicking on the 'File' Menu Item in the Paltalk Menu Bar and choosing 'Setup Preferences'. In the 'Alerts and Sounds', choose your Nudge Sound by selecting the apprpriate radio button under the 'Nudge Sound' heading.
29. I keep getting privacy settings window for Flash Player. How do I stop that ?
In the Flash Player Privacy window that is displayed on your screen, check the box labeled 'Remember'.
30. I get a pop-up window about the security settings of Paltalk Express. What is that ?
This is a notification about your microphone and web camera settings. It allows you to determine if your microphone and webcamera are available to the Paltalk Express application for content publishing.
31. Am I safe if I allow Paltalk Express access to my camera and microphone through security settings?
Yes, of course. You determine access to your microphone and webcam each time you enter a room. Adobe has taken great pains to make sure that access to your microphone and webcam do not compromise the security of your computer.
32. How can I uninstall Paltalk Express ?
Paltalk Express is a web-based application - there is no software to uninstall.
33. Can I embed Paltalk Express into my website?
That feature is not available at this time.
34. I cannot do a file transfer on Paltalk Express. Why not?
File transfer feature is not available at this moment.
35. How do I set up sound on a Mac?
For internal Speakers
1. Left click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of your computer screen.
2. Select System Preferences from the drop down menu and left click.
3. When the System Preference window opens, left click on SOUND in the HARDWARE section.
4. Click on the OUTPUT tab when the Sound window opens.
5. Select INTERNAL SPEAKERS.
6. To adjust volume, move the slide bar to the left or right.
7. Put a check mark in the box beside SHOW VOLUME IN MENU BAR. The speaker icon will appear in the upper right hand corner to the left of the clock.
For Headsets (No Mic)
8. If using headphones, plug the headphone into the port at the front of your computer.
9. Follow steps 1 thru 4.
10. Select HEADPHONES on the Output Tab.
11. Move the slide bar to the left or right to balance the headphones.
12. On the settings for the selected device move the slide bar to the left or right to decrease or increase the volume.
13. Put a check in the box beside Show volume in menu bar at the bottom of that window.